This is a daily practice to help release all the muscles along your spine, as well as head and neck. It balances working out, sitting at a desk for hours, standing, being stressed and holding tension in neck, shoulders, and lower back. Try it each evening for 3 weeks and see what you notice!
- Roll a dense blanket up so that it is the length of your head/torso and lay it on the floor perpendicular to a chair or couch. (Roll does not have to be large. It is simply a reference point for your spine.)
- Place two bed pillows on floor close to blanket roll for arms.
- Lay down on roll so that your head and tailbone are on roll and lower legs (calves) are up on couch or chair. (knees should be at a 90 degree angle.)
- Rest shoulders and arms on pillows.
- Place a small rolled up hand towel underneath your neck (not as a pillow, but as a support for your cervical spine only).
- Imagine that all the muscles of your entire back body are "draped" over the blanket roll.
- When you are ready to come out of this resting pose, roll to the side and remove the blanket roll, then lay flat for a few minutes and notice the difference.